Saturday, January 5, 2019

Why Quitting Those New Year Resolutions is a Good...No, GREAT...Thing to Do



In years past I’ve noticed that every New Year would bring dozens upon dozens of posts on social media about making New Year Resolutions. This year…not so much. In fact, it was hard to find any at all.

Did you have any resolutions? If so, can I ask, how are you doing with them?

If you‘ve found that once again, it’s been a bit difficult to keep them and you’ve chucked them out the door already, no worries, you are in good company! According to Statistic Brain by the end of the first week 27% of us have thrown in the towel, at the two week mark 31% have quit, and just barely half make it through the first month.

So if you’re among the 27% who’ve already chucked those resolutions out the door by the end of this first week of 2019…pat yourself on the back and realize you’ve done a good…no…GREAT…thing!

Eh..what’s that your saying?

That’s right, quitting those resolutions is a GOOD thing.

Resolutions are failures waiting to happen. I mean, think about it. Most resolutions are made based on emotions or activities, not long term goals. Or they are so huge that it would take forever to accomplish, which causes us to lose heart before we’ve even made a dent in them.  That’s why I stopped making them years ago, despite my best intentions I just couldn’t keep up with them, and without a deeper motivation, or reason that went beyond me, I lost interest and gave up. I set myself up for failure every single time.

Quitting resolutions was good for me.

I finally realized that change doesn’t happen overnight; I couldn’t just wave my New Year’s sparkler and wake up January first a new me. It just couldn’t happen.  But what I learned was that if I set some long term goals, committed them to God in prayer, and patiently began making some small changes in my life those little changes would eventually lead me where I needed to go.

And suddenly, those long term goals weren’t so overwhelming.




No comments:

Post a Comment