Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Is God Happy with His Living Space?



Recently in one of my Small Group discussions 
we discussed the fact that our body is God’s property and that we are the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit. (1 Corinthians 6:19; 1 Corinthians 3:16-17). The main topic of debate was how this truth affected the way we see ourselves and would we do anything differently knowing this? 

I’ve got to say, this truth makes me realize the importance of what I do, what I eat, what activities I participate in. I have to ask myself the questions…“Since God lives in me, is He happy with His living space? Does He approve of what He is drinking, eating, seeing, listening, doing through me?” – faced with these questions, and my knowledge that God lives in me, I can no longer justify my bad behavior or outright sin. The sobering fact is that my actions can actually hurt the very God I claim to love and serve.

The Bible says this….”But the fruit that the Holy Spirit produces in a person’s life is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control…” (Galatians 5:22-23 erv)

Self-control is one of the evidences that we have the Holy Spirit living inside of us. And self-control applies to more than just dieting, it’s controlling what we allow our bodies to take part of-what television shows we watch, what movies we see, what music we listen to…where we go and what we participate in affects our walk with Christ.

I think as Christians we have to be careful with how we treat our bodies because we are a reflection of Christ to the world. As stewards, or caretakers, of God’s temple it is our responsibility to keep His temple clean. And if, as a Christian, the world cannot clearly see Christ in me, then am I truly a Christian? Now, I realize that I am not, and cannot, be perfect, but there should be a difference between me and the world because I walk with Christ.

Blessings,

Kathy 



(this post can also be found on Vineyard Women)


No comments:

Post a Comment