Sunday, May 29, 2016

Memorial Day ain't Happy



This Memorial Day I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the brave men and women who have given their lives in service to the United States.
 
I hesitate to say, “Happy Memorial Day” for the simple fact that labeling this day as ‘happy’ seems a little insensitive.  It is, after all, a day to commemorate those who lost their lives, and not, as some would think, a day to gorge ourselves on potato salad and burgers, or snag the latest deal down at the local mall.

Don’t get me wrong, I love a good burger as much as anyone else, and maybe it’s just me, but, the blatant commercializing of the day to honor our military dead seems a bit irreverent, and well, to put it plainly, disrespectful.

How many of us ever think of the real meaning behind Memorial Day? Do we know why it was created? Do our children know?

I’m not advocating that we all walk around in sackcloth and ashes, but I am saying that a part of our ‘celebration’ should be to take a moment to reflect and remember the dead, those men and women who willingly gave their lives so that we can enjoy the freedoms we have today.

In fact, in the year 2000, then President Bill Clinton passed a resolution called, the “National Moment of Remembrance”, which asks that at 3 p.m. local time all Americans do just that, pause for a full minute of remembrance and respect to honor our fallen military heroes.

So instead of wishing you a "H---y" Memorial Day, I leave you with this quote from President Truman...

No comments:

Post a Comment