Saturday, June 11, 2016

The Scarier Side of Blogging...



There is a side to blogging that no one tells you about, and one, that I have found, to be immensely scary at times...

...just how much of "me" should I put out there?

As a blogger it can be difficult to determine just how much honesty and transparency to put in my writing.  How fine a line should be drawn across a personal life? The “do’s and don’ts” of sharing are not quite so clear. I have read blogs where, literally, every life’s detail is laid out moment by moment, to the point of it becoming not so comfortable to read.  I have also read blogs where it’s nothing but statistics and facts which are informative, but not so entertaining.  Neither of these types of blogs keeps my attention for long.

I am trying to fall somewhere in the middle.

It’s a hard tightrope to walk. I tend to lean more toward the conservative side, my natural tendency is not to reveal too much because, let’s face it, I am a people-pleaser. While this is not a personality trait that should be encouraged, it is, however, a distinct part of my life.  I am also, to be brutally honest, terrified of being hurt or misunderstood.  You see, people-pleasing and hiding-your-feelings-to-avoid-disapproval-and-hurt go hand-in-hand.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I want to be authentic, I really do, but at the same time I don’t want to overload you, dear readers, with way too much personal information that will leave you feeling uncomfortable at the end of reading my blog. There has to be a middle ground, some way to bridge that gap, and I think I've found it...

Just write.

So here we go...in an effort to overcome my natural tendencies I am going to just start diving in...well...maybe not diving, more like dipping my toes...in the 'scarier' parts of blogging.

I can't wait to begin! 








No comments:

Post a Comment