Friday, December 30, 2016

Ditch the Resolutions…Count Your Blessings Instead!





Are you making any resolutions this year? If so, are any of them new, or are you simply digging up last year’s in the hope that THIS will be the year you follow through? While as tempting as that sounds, I am happy to announce that once again I will not be joining the millions who are.

“Why not?” you might be asking.

I do not believe in them. They do not work. Did you know that nearly 22% of people who make resolutions give them up within the first week? Or that by the end of March almost half of those who made resolutions are back to the same old routines and habits that they swore they would do better at? And by the time the next year rolls around how many people do you personally know that have actually kept the resolutions they previously made?

You’ve heard the phrase, “New Year’s Resolutions are made to be broken.” Well, I’d have to agree!

Of course, there are a few people out there who generally do much better at keeping resolutions, but, if we’re honest, these people are the ones who most likely began implementing these new goals before the previous year even ended.

This year, instead of making a resolution that I know I will never keep, I am going to keep track of my blessings! I’m sure you’ve seen this idea on social media, it usually makes the rounds again around this time of the year, but for those of you who aren’t aware of it, here’s the instructions for making a “Blessings Jar”.

You will need…

                                                                                    A CONTAINER...

You can use whatever container you want to…a jar, a box, a cookie jar...just about anything that is large enough to hold 365 days worth of little folded up notes. You can buy a fancy one, or decorate the jar yourself…for me, I am using my Pumpkin Cookie Jar!

PAPER...

The possibilities are endless! Use index cards, notepaper, colored or not…just make them small squares that are easily folded. I’m starting off with this adorable little notepad of blank paper that my Hubby found for me. (I think at Walgreens). It has a metal loop, so I can hang it on my bulletin board above my desk. (Just a note-I’d stay away from post-it notes, otherwise you’ll need to fold down the sticky band at the top so your notes don’t get stuck together).

A PEN or pencil, or a marker…whatever you can write with is good!

Instructions…

It’s pretty simple…write down one thing every single day (or weekly, if that works better for you) that blesses you, makes you happy, gives you joy. It could be a scripture that God gives you at a crucial moment in your life. It could be a memory you thought was lost. It doesn’t even have to affect you directly! Whatever you are thankful for, write it down on your little paper, fold it up, and slip into the jar. At the end of the year, on New Year’s Eve, sit down and read about the amazing, blessed year you had!

I can’t wait to see what God has in store for me in 2017, and I’d love to hear what God is doing in yours! If you have any idea’s to tag onto this one, or suggestions, please don’t hesitate to post them.

Let me leave you with a blessing…


“I pray that the Lord
will bless and protect you,
and that he will who you mercy
and kindness.
May the Lord be good to you
and give you peace.”


Numbers 6:24-26 (ceb)





No comments:

Post a Comment